Audemars Piguet VS Rolex
Join us as we compare and review two of the most coveted brands in watchmaking to determine which brand is best for you.
Let's face it, there are many exclusive watch brands out there and frankly, there have almost always been. After carefully considering every one of them you can literally find something special in just about every single one of them. The big question is which one is the best for you specifically. Today we will do an AP Rolex comparison; two of the top brands in watchmaking.
Audemars Piguet VS Rolex: A Detailed Comparison & Review
To start, we need to find out what motivated you to decide to buy a watch from either of these brands. Is it the look of their watches? Is it the reputation of their brand? Is it the recognition you would get wearing one of their watches? Are you looking to acquire what will one day become a treasured family heirloom?
As you can see there are a number of motivating factors why people would spend a lot on a really high-end watch and you may relate to any one of them or even all of them.
Depending on what factors you relate to you may want to compare these brands from different angles.
For example: let's say you just want to make a statement with what you are wearing on your wrist. You may want to make that statement to a select few …or even to everyone. In this type of situation, you want to compare the two in the context of brand recognition.
Whereas Rolex is the most internationally recognizable luxury watch brand, Audemars Piguet is not. AP is certainly recognized in the watchmaking community as a better brand than Rolex but because of the exclusivity of the AP brand, the average layman will not realize that your watch is superior to a Rolex.
You can use a nice watch to dress to impress, but you need to figure out who you are trying to impress first. Audemars Piguet is considered one of the 'big three' or as many call it, the 'Holy Trinity of watchmaking'. Rolex never made it to the Big 3, yet Rolex is still the single most recognized luxury watch brand in the world (according to a recent report by Swiss brand valuation agency Interbrand) and makes excellent watches regardless.
These two brands took lots of time perfecting the art of watchmaking. There's a reason they're still in business after over 100 years in operation. Rolex prides itself on the accuracy and durability of their watches while Audemars Piguet is less focused on precision and more artistic about their craft. You can clearly see the difference between the two by comparing any of their movements.
Audemars Piguet pays meticulous attention to every single detail in the movement and finishes them to perfection in a way that Rolex doesn't even compare.
While a Rolex caliber is a very high-quality piece of mechanical machinery, it's missing that extra detail, that superb finishing that you will find in an AP watch such as the motifs, the engraving which you will rarely if ever find in a Rolex. In fact, most Rolexes have solid case backs which won't even let you even see the movement or its action.
Rolex watches are known for their accuracy. Specifically, since they've been putting the words Superlative Chronometer on their watches which means that the watch was regulated and tested to an accuracy of -2/+2 seconds per day. Almost every Rolex manufactured lately is meeting this level of precision.
Audemars Piguet, on the other hand, is not advertising the accuracy the way Rolex is and this may be because they don't have a standard minimum precision the way Rolex does. The accuracy on Audemars Piguet watches depends on a few things: the model of the watch, the movement, how long has it been since it was brought in to be serviced, the level of activity of the person wearing it, how the watch is placed when not being worn. There are quite a few variables here as you can see.
The truth is, if you want the most accurate watch, you shouldn't be looking at mechanical watches at all but rather, the less expensive (to say the least) quartz watch which is battery powered and has a level of precision that is simply unattainable by mechanical watches.
REASONS TO BUY A ROLEX
- Just about everybody and their Uncle know the Rolex brand. You don't even need to be a watch nut to be familiar with them. This type of popularity comes in handy when it comes to a pre-owned market.
- Rolex is known to hold its value better than any other watch brand out there.
- This year even the new Rolex sports watches such as the stainless steel Daytona, Submariner models, GMT Master II, Yacht-Master and such have been selling for more than their listed retail price indicating very high demand which also positively affects the resale value.
- Their watches are built very solid and can theoretically last forever if properly maintained.
REASONS TO BUY AN AP
- Audemars Piguet watches are a different breed of a watch than your average luxury watch.
- Wearing an AP is indicative of a real watch nerd who can also talk the talk. Most people that are not into horology have no idea who Audemars Piguet is in the world of watchmaking. Yet, they are considered one of the BIG 3 which include AP, Vacheron & Patek.
- Everyone and their neighbor isn't wearing AP watches. This is a more exclusive and prestigious brand.
- It's the type of watch that the wearer can enjoy wearing it all on his own without any need of some stranger's recognition.
- The real pleasure comes when socializing in those inner circles of watch connoisseurs and seeing a watch nerd geek out over the watch.
- The craftsmanship of an AP is also a different type of grade. There are more bells and whistles such as intricate finishing processes involved in AP's and they are not mass produced like Rolex watches.
- This is more of a family heirloom type of watch brand with a more exclusive clientele.
- Another excellent reason to buy an Audemars Piguet is if you enjoy complications, the kind you find in a really high-end mechanical watch. We're talking about tourbillons, perpetual calendars, moon phase, retrograde, minute repeaters, chronographs, dual time zone/GMT's, and more mechanical features offer more function than just to tell you the time. Rolex is a forward-thinking brand and may have a few tricks up their sleeves but Audemars Piguet has been making magic with their movements for significantly longer and has quite a few more tricks up their sleeves.
After comparing Audemars Piguet VS Rolex Watches, which do you feel is the right brand for you?
Let us know in the comment section below
If you enjoyed this comparison and feel that others would enjoy it too, please like and share it. Thanks!